Are you experiencing severe tooth pain? Is a toothache reason enough to constitute a dental emergency in Palm Harbor?
The short answer is that yes, a root canal is a dental emergency and you should see a dentist right away. Waiting for too long to get treatment will not only exacerbate your symptoms, but you also risk losing your tooth.
Why Is a Root Canal a Dental Emergency?
When it comes to dental emergencies, most people think that only knocked-out teeth require urgent care, but the definition is actually broader than that.
If you are under severe dental pain, are experiencing bleeding, or have any kind of discomfort that you aren't able to treat by yourself, then that can be classified as a dental emergency.
A dental infection is an urgent issue that needs to be handled immediately. Not only can it cause excruciating pain, but if left untreated, the infection can spread and damage your entire tooth. Eventually, the damage will be so bad that the only option will be extraction.
A Dentist Can Get You Out of Pain
Not every toothache you will get will need urgent care. But, if you are experiencing prolonged (more than one-two days) and sharp pain, then that's usually a clear indication that you may have an infected tooth and you may require root canal treatment.
Our dental emergency dentist will first examine you to determine how bad the infection is. Based on this, they will know how to plan the treatment.
Here's what you can expect during root canal therapy:
- The dentist will clean your mouth and then numb the area.
- With a drill, they will remove the affected enamel and drill a small hole in the tooth to get to the damaged part.
- They will then remove the decayed pulp.
- Once they are done, they will clean the area and use a special, rubber-like material to replace the pulp.
- Lastly, they will fill the hole with a filling and place a crown to protect the tooth. Keep in mind that this crown is usually temporary. You will most likely need to return to the office to get a new one.
By getting same-day dental care for your root canal, you are stopping the infection and maximizing your chances of saving your tooth. Not to mention, you will get relief from your pain.
Get Emergency Dental Care from Bow Tie Dentist
A root canal is a serious, even life-threatening condition and you shouldn't be in pain just because you think a toothache is not a dental emergency. It is and you should get urgent care ASAP!
At Bow Tie Dentist, we offer emergency dentistry to patients in Palm Harbor, FL. We are on call 24/7 and always ready to provide the best dental care.